[IEEE1904.1] Meeting announcement

Dear Colleagues,

IEEE Standards Association graciously has offered to host the P1904.1 kick-off meeting.  The meeting will take place in the IEEE Operations Center in Piscataway, NJ on February 8-10, 2010.

(We initially planned to hold our first meeting in the second half of January.  However, several people complained that it would not be possible to obtain US visas in such a short time.  To alleviate this problem, the meeting has been moved to February 8th.)

Please, visit this page for additional meeting information: http://www.ieee1904.org/1/meeting_info/2010_02_Piscataway_NJ.pdf

Also, note that two shorter URLs are available to reach P1904.1 home page:

http://www.ieee1904.org/1/  (primary for IEEE-related announcements)

www.siepon.org

As you can see, IEEE SA has offered us a great deal, with breakfasts and lunches included and no meeting registration fees. However, for meeting planning it is very important to get accurate expected head count.

Please, register for the meeting as soon as you can, but only if you are fairly certain that you will attend.

Registration page: https://web.memberclicks.com/mc/quickForm/viewForm.do?orgId=iecs&formId=71175

Please, note that there is no room block reserved in the hotel. It is advisable to make your hotel reservation as soon as possible.

The recommended hotel is Hyatt Regency New Brunswick. A list of alternative hotels is also provided, but if you decide to stay in another hotel, you will need to arrange your own transportation to the IEEE Operations Center.

A few words about the rules for entity-based projects, such as  P1904.1.  Participation in an entity-based project is by organization, with each organization having one vote. Each organization that intends to participate in the project, must be a corporate member of IEEE SA and must pay applicable project service fees, if such fees are established (we will discuss this at the first meeting).

There are two types of corporate membership: basic membership and advanced membership. The basic membership allows company’s representatives to attend meetings as observers. The advanced membership is required to make technical proposals and vote on motions.  More details available here: http://standards.ieee.org/sa-mem/corp_overview.html.

To attain voting rights, in addition to becoming an advanced corporate member and paying all applicable fees,  there is also a minimum attendance requirement. Usually, a company needs to attend 2 or 3 consecutive meetings, before the voting rights are granted. However, the first meeting is an exception, in that every company which attends the first meeting will get voting rights at the beginning of the meeting. If you have not started a process in your company to establish IEEE SA advanced corporate membership yet, please, do it now.

There are two e-mail reflectors established:

Public reflector (stds-P1904-1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) will be used for general announcements, such as this e-mail.

Private (members only) reflector (stds-P1904-1-mbrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) shall be used for all technical discussions. Only representatives of organizations with established IEEE SA advanced corporate membership may be subscribed (by the WG secretary or a designate) to this reflector, provided also that all established project service fees have been paid. In case there is a need to have any technical discussion  before the meeting, you e-mail address may be added to the private e-mail reflector if check the Membership Commitment check box on the meeting registration form.

Here is what to expect at the first meeting:

1)      Discussion and approval of WG Policies and Procedures, and possibly WG Operations manual. Proposed drafts for these documents will be distributed several weeks before the meeting.

2)      We will initiate election process to elect WG officers.

3)      Discussion and approval of working plan for our WG, project schedule, organization of WG activities, etc.

A detailed agenda and a call for contributions will be sent several weeks before the meeting.

Please, let me know if you have any questions about the planned meeting.

Thank you,

Glen Kramer

glen.kramer@xxxxxxxx