RoE presentation time and late packets..

Folks,

This is a preliminary material for an issue that we faced recently. The presentation time we have does not allow us reliably detect past timestamps i.e., late packets. This is not a format issue, rather an interpretation issue of the timestamp content + the associated presentation time calculation algorithm.

While this situation should never happen in a well engineered network errors do happen due whatever (human) reason. There is great value being able to detect past timestamps even if the specification would not say anything beyond that.. some other (OAM?) spec may then well take use of such feature..

So, without changing the on-wire format the slideset discusses how to detect past timestamps and proposes a clarification to the example algorithm and what needs to be clarified in the RoE spec to enable such feature. This is one item for next week bi-weekly call.

Feedback is always appreciated.

- JOuni