[IEEE1904.1] Meeting agenda and Call for contributions

Dear Colleagues,

Attached to this e-mail is the proposed agenda for the meeting.

At this meeting our focus will be on organizational matters for P1904.1.

As any IEEE SA Working Group, we shall have WG Policies and Procedures established for our group. An initial draft for this document has been uploaded to http://www.ieee1904.org/1/documents/P1904_1_PandP.pdf.
We will discuss it and further refine at the meeting. Once our WG is happy with all the provisions there, we shall ask our project Sponsor, the IEEE Communication Society Standards Committee to approve it. Only after the Sponsor's approval, will that document be in force. At the first meeting, we still will be able to use the provisions of this document, as long as they do not contradict the requirements outlined in IEEE SASB Operations Manual (http://standards.ieee.org/guides/opman/sb-om.pdf) and IEEE ComSoc Standards Board Policies and Procedures (http://ww2.comsoc.org/about/documents/pp/5.14).

In additions to the P1904.1 Policies and Procedures, we will review the P1904.1 Operations Manual. This document is subordinate to the Policies and Procedures and provides more detailed instructions for a day-to-day operation of the working group. The initial draft of this document is available at http://www.ieee1904.org/1/documents/P1904_1_OpsMan.pdf.

Please, review both documents before the meeting and have you comments/questions ready.

The second big agenda item for our next meeting is to discuss and refine our work plan. Please, recall that the scope for our approved PAR states the following:
=====
5.2 Scope:
This standard describes the system-level requirements needed to ensure service-level,
multi-vendor interoperability of Ethernet Passive Optical Network (EPON) equipment. The
specifications complement the existing IEEE Std. 802.3 and IEEE Std. 802.1 standards
which ensure the interoperability at the Physical layer and Data Link layer. Specifically
included in the proposed work are:

   - EPON system-level interoperability specifications covering equipment functionality,
     traffic engineering, and service-level QoS/CoS mechanisms;

   - Management specifications covering: equipment management, service management, and
     power utilization.
=====

At the meeting we will discuss and attempt to agree on what specific technical features or functions affect service-level multi-vendor interoperability and therefore should be included in our work plan.
I would like to make a Call for Contributions outlining the technical features and functions that should become the focus of our work.

Please, make sure that for each feature or function that you propose, your presentation addresses the following points:

1) Clear explanation of the feature (what it does, not necessarily how it does it).
2) Why this feature is important, i.e., show that not having this feature implemented in a network will affect services that are expected to be supported on EPON.
3) Why this feature must be standardized, i.e., show that if this feature not specified, there possible different implementations that would break multi-vendor interoperability.

Please, submit your contributions in compliance with the Procedure for Presenters (http://www.ieee1904.org/1/submit.html). Please, note that the 10-day submission deadline is waived for the first meeting. However, I am sure meeting participants will appreciate your efforts to submit presentations early, so that we all can review them ahead of the meeting. Once the presentations are uploaded to P1904.1 private directory on the web, the password will be sent to registered meeting attendees.

I also would like to remind you that today is the meeting registration deadline. If you plan to attend the meeting, but have not registered yet, please do this ASAP. Meeting registration page is located here: https://web.memberclicks.com/mc/quickForm/viewForm.do?orgId=iecs&formId=71175. Information about meeting venue, accommodations, and transportation can be found here: http://www.ieee1904.org/1/meeting_info/2010_02_Piscataway_NJ.pdf.

Please, note that companies attending the first organizational meeting (and that have their advanced IEEE SA membership established or in a process of establishing it), will gain working group voting privileges right away.  However, companies that miss the first meeting, will need to attend two working group meetings before they can become voting members. That means that companies that do not send representatives to the first meeting, will not be able to vote until our fourth meeting (tentatively, somewhere in August).

And finally, please make sure that all your colleagues that need to be aware of various P1904.1 announcements, such as this one, are subscribed to the P1904.1 public e-mail reflector(http://www.ieee1904.org/1/subscribe_pub.html). This e-mail reflector is open to everybody, regardless of their IEEE or IEEE SA membership.

Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions, either privately, or on the reflector if you think others may have similar questions.

Sincerely,
Glen Kramer
Chair, IEEE P1904.1 SIEPON Working Group
glen.kramer@xxxxxxxx