From: Glen Kramer [mailto:glen.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:25 AM
To: STDS-P1904-1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [IEEE1904.1] Work Plan in preparation for April meeting

Dear Working Group Members,

Our next meeting is just six and a half weeks away. At the next meeting
we need to finalize the exact charter of each task force, that is to
review and agree on a list of features that each task force must
address. We also will begin reviewing specific technical proposals for
such features and voting them in or out as our baseline solutions.

As you may remember, at the last meeting we have produced a broad list
of features (see the spreadsheet sent to member-only reflector on
February 10, 2010). The list in a sense is all inclusive, as a single
opinion was enough to get a feature on the list. This was mostly done to
have a broad view on what features we may have and how to divide these
features into a manageable number of topics (task forces) in a logical
way.

We still need to make sure we have not missed any critical features. For
that, anyone who wishes to add a new feature to the list, needs to:
   - Review other specifications that EPON operators use or expect to
use
      (WT-200, G.987.1, MEF, DOCSIS, operator's or national specs)
   - Show how operators' service model or the above specs require the
proposed feature
      (I expect operators will be driving this, more than vendors)

Having this broad list would ensure that we are not missing anything
critical. But these features need 75% WG support to stay on the list.
Narrowing down the list and reaffirming or clarifying these features is
the immediate task for the task forces.

I suggest that the task forces pass each feature through the filtering
test like the one shown in slide 2 in
http://www.ieee1904.org/1/private/contributions/2010_02/siepon_1002_clos
ing.pdf.
The important thing to remember is that our scope is limited to
OLT-to-ONU interoperability.

With this e-mail, I am asking Task Force chairs to
a) issue call of participation in their TF (on our public reflector)
b) based on demographics obtained in step (a), and in coordination with
other TF chairs, determine times for your conf call.
c) Conduct conference calls to start building consensus regarding which
features shall be the focus for the TF and begin discussing specific
technical solutions for these features.

Please, remember that time of call should not discriminate against any
particular participant or group of participants. You may decide to split
your calls into two for different time zones, or have a rotating
schedule.

Thank you,
Glen