call 5/3/16 notes

Start: 5/3/2016   08:00 PDT
End:   5/3/2016   09:04 PDT

Present:
    Jouni Korhonen
    Bomin Li
    Brian Torley
    Kevin Bross
    Ofir Mahazri
    Rami Al-obaidi
    Richard Maiden
    Richard Tse
    Xhafer Kraniqi
    Yasser Bajwa
    Steinar Bjornstad
    Stefano ?
    John Messenger

Actual agenda:
 * Aftermath of the last week f2f meeting
 * RoE OEM PDU input (Richard M.)
 * Producing the D1.0 of the spec

 * Jouni wentr through quickly what happened and what was
   decided/agreed during last week f2f meeting in San Jose.
 * Jouni pointed out that during the transition phase from
   1904 wg to 1914 wg the work continues as usual and even
   after that there won't be changes. The move is likely to
   happen earliest after the summer (due IEEE process and
   various board timelines).
 * Richard presented his thoughts on the RoE OAM PDU format.
 * Jouni commented that we should use the exsiting formats
   already done in IEEE. Example being 802.1AB clause 8.4
   TLV formar for LLDP among others.
   (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=7433915)
 * John Messenger also pointed out that 802.3-2012 clause 57
   has the management sublayer describe. Would be good to
   look at there as well what has been done in order to
   avoind issues that have already been solved.
   (https://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.3-2012.zip)
 * John asked whether the OAM is specific to Ethernet. Jouni
   commented that there is no such requirement. The solution
   should work on any transport that carries RoE.
 * Jouni reminded that we are only going to define the generic
   packetization of the management / control information. The
   possible protocol including statemachines are for a new
   project to do.
 * It was encouraged to look into generic ways of encapsulating
   configurations / parameters using formats that are already
   implemented as part of the generic Ethernet solutions.
 * Discussion about missing things. Richard M. asked about
   PICS. That is to be added but at the moment a place
   holder should suffice. We need to get the rest of the
   spec done before that.
 * Yasser and John commented that we should describe which
   possible parameters are settable. Not all of them need
   to be (e.g., for security reasons).
 * Richard asked about changing the RoE connection/flow
   related parameters and whether that can be done on an
   active connection/flow. This came up on the context of
   TS and SN, and whether those can be changed on an active
   connection/flow.
 * It was clarified that a RoE connection/flow only uses
   either the SN or the TS, not intermixing both. The sync
   of a TS to SN can be done out of band e.g., using the
   control packet approach.
 * Yasser commented that it simplifies the solution if
   parameters are only (in most cases) applied to a new
   RoE copnnection/flow. Jouni agrees.
 * AP to Yasser to add required fields into the draft spec
   to indicate which parameters can be settable and which
   just readable.
 * Richard to produce the D1.0 for the next call.. or that
   is the goal at least.
 * Jouni pointed out that after D1.0 we move to TF review
   phase, where the commenting is much more formal, thus
   editor spending more time getting e.g., the language
   proper save a lot on 'pure grammar related comments'.

Next Call:
 * 5/17/2016 8AM PDT