on a control packet handling..

Folks,

Expanding one offline discussion to a wider audience.. we have our current packet & header format for an RoE control packet. That's fine. However, there are different uses for the control packets i.e., some are truly for "control" and most likely always ending up to a CPU to process with request-reply/ack semantics etc. Then we got data related control packets e.g., originated by a CPRI mapper and these packets are likely to be processed in the data path or the mapper's "control process" as the draft calls it. These control packets have no acks and they are uni-directional etc. Now the question is that whether we should indicate this "early" in the RoE header? It is possible to do this by looking into the RoE control packet opCode field (used to be the "subType") but it might make sense to be able to make the decision already by examing just the subType field (used to be the "pktType").

Examing just the subType (was "pktType") would call for two classes of RoE control packets. Any comments/thoughts?

- Jouni