From: Glen Kramer [mailto:gkramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 7:07 PM
To: Marek Hajduczenia; Raz Gabe
Cc: STDS-1904-WG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: maintenance process

Raz,

I am not sure what such negotiation with the submitter would achieve. If the RMTF agreed on a resolution, but the submitter does not approve it, should the TF find another resolution?

I think the key point is that once the MR is submitted, it is not “owned” by the submitter anymore. It is owned by the RMTF. The submitter may be consulted for additional clarifications, if RMTF finds it necessary. Also, the submitter should be informed of the final status of the MR (Rejected/Accepted/Revised) with necessary explanations, but he/she should not have any veto power or any special leverage over the work of the TF.  In an (unlikely) event that RMTF misunderstood the problem and adopted a resolution that did not fix the problem, the submitter can always submit another request. As the RMTF needs 2/3 votes to adopt a resolution, so it can open the previously-resolved MR and revise its resolution with 2/3 votes.

The submitter will have several opportunities to influence the text that goes into the revised standard. The first opportunity is to participate in the work of RMTF, and thus participate in the resolution of his/her own request, as Marek said.

Another opportunity is to join the sponsor ballot on the revised standard and submit ER/TR there.

The key is that the submitter influence is the same as that of any other member of the group and there is no special privileges.

We should discuss this more at the meeting.

Glen